The Ultimate Oreo Cake! Recipe & Video
Oreo's have been around for a while now, and have become a household name around the globe. The only thing that I can think of that would be better than an Oreo would be... an Oreo cake! This Oreo cake is packed with Oreo's and will definitely give you your Oreo fix! The best part about it is that it isn't too overpowering, so makes for a delicious and pleasant dessert that isn't too sweet!
The key to this Oreo cake is in the frosting and filling that we're going to be using. The frosting is a combination of a vanilla swiss meringue buttercream and finely crushed Oreos. For the filling, we're going to be using coarsely chopped Oreos, which are going to give a nice crunch when we bite into our cake!
Some people like to put crushed Oreo's in the cake batter, however I prefer keeping the inside of the cake simple, and use the moist and decadent chocolate cake recipe I have on my blog (without the optional raspberries). I find that this chocolate cake has the perfect amount of sweetness that goes well with this cake overall, so I didn't want to make it too sweet by adding more Oreo's in the cake batter :).
If you'd like to watch how to make this Oreo cake, then you can check out my YouTube video here.
The quantities given below are for a 6 inch three layer Oreo cake as shown in the photos above.
Oreo Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
- 1.5 batches of vanilla swiss meringue buttercream
- 1 packet (133g) of regular flavoured Oreo's (you can add more or less Oreo's based on your own preferences)
1) Blend the packet of Oreo's in a food processor until they become very fine crumbs.
2) Gently fold the crushed Oreo's into the vanilla swiss meringue buttercream.
- 1/2 packet (66.5g) of Oreo's
- In a food processor, pulse the Oreo's until they become coarsely chopped. Alternatively, you can put the Oreo's into a snap lock bag and coarsely crush them with a rolling pin.
1 batch of the moist & decadent chocolate cake from my blog without the raspberries
- Follow the instructions on the moist and decadent chocolate cake post.
- Pour the batter into three 6 inch cake tins and bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Chocolate Ganache for the Drips:
- 180g of dark chocolate
- 180ml of cream
- Pour the cream on top of the dark chocolate and put into the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave, mix, and then return to the microwave for an additional 20 seconds.
- Keep repeating the above steps until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Let the ganache cool down (about 10 minutes depending on how hot the ganache is), until it is a thicker consistency. If your ganache is too thick, then you can re-heat it, or if it is too thin, you can let it cool down longer. If it is still too thin, then add more chocolate and repeat the process until you come to the right consistency.
If you'd like the full method on how to assemble all these elements, then check out my YouTube video :)
If you do try this Oreo cake out or have any questions, then please leave me a comment below! I'd be happy to answer any questions. Also, I'd love to see pictures if you try this cake out, so don't forget to tag me on Instagram @cakesbymk.nz :)