Stable Whipped Cream Frosting
Updated: Oct 6, 2020
Whipped cream is one of my most favourite things to eat, but the problem is, it's not so great to use when it comes to cake decorating because of how soft it is!
There are many different ways that you can stabilise whipped cream so that you can use it for piping and decorating cakes. After trying a few different options out, I finally found what is now my favourite whipped cream frosting recipe to date!
So the secret ingredient to stabilising this whipped cream is... mascarpone cheese! Mascarpone cheese is a subtle flavoured cheese that is great to use in whipped cream as it doesn't overpower the taste of the cream. Mascarpone cheese also has a smooth velvety texture that makes it great to add to whipped cream.
Now, before you make this whipped cream frosting, here's a few helpful notes to read through:
1) Make sure your bowl and whisk is cold before making the frosting. This will allow the cream to whip up better. Simply place your bowl and whisk into the refrigerator for 30 minutes prior to making the frosting.
2) Make sure all the ingredients are cold. This will allow everything to incorporate better.
3) It's best to make the frosting right before you're going to pipe it/use it for decorating. Although the frosting will keep it's shape for an extended period of time, the longer you leave it sitting, the more the consistency of the frosting will change, which then makes it harder to achieve nice smooth piping.
4) If it's difficult to find mascarpone cheese where you're located, then you can substitute it with cream cheese. Just keep in mind that cream cheese has a stronger flavour, so it will make your final product more of a 'cream cheese' whipped cream frosting.
5) Keep a close eye on your cream while whipping it. If you leave it for too long, it will start to split! You want to whip it just until it holds it shape well.
If you'd like to watch how this whipped cream frosting is made, check out my YouTube video here!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Yield: Enough to completely ice a 2 layer 6 inch cake, or 1 dozen cupcakes.
- 1.5 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of icing/powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (225g) cold mascarpone cheese
1) In a cold bowl with a cold whisk (place them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes prior to making the frosting), add the icing sugar, vanilla extract and mascarpone cheese. Mix on a medium speed until everything is well combined.
2) Add in the heavy whipping cream and mix on low speed until everything is combined. Then, turn up the speed to medium-high, and mix until stiff peaks form. Keep an eye on this, as you do not want to over whip your cream otherwise it will split!
3) Ice/pipe onto your cakes and cupcakes! Pipe as soon as possible to prevent the texture of the whipped cream frosting changing.
If you do try this recipe out or have any questions, then please leave me a comment below! I'd be happy to answer any questions. Also, I'd love to see pictures if you try this recipe out, so don't forget to tag me on Instagram! :)
Thanks for reading!