Dalgona Coffee Cake - Recipe & Video
Updated: Apr 13
So you've probably already heard about the Dalgona coffee trend that is all over social media at the moment. When I first came across the trend, I was really curious to try it out because I couldn't quite believe how easy it looked! To my surprise, it wasn't only easy, but tasted delicious too!
If you haven't come across the trend yet, then it's basically a cold coffee beverage with this really velvety smooth whipped coffee on top, which is made from equal parts water, sugar and instant coffee. Now when I made this whipped coffee to go on top, I was taking a closer look at it and it basically had the texture of a meringue mixture. So I decided to see if this whipped coffee would act as a nice icing to go on a coffee cake and guess what - it did!
Now if you are thinking of trying this out, I will warn you that the whipped coffee is quite strong. So if you're a coffee lover then you should have no problems, but if you prefer a milder coffee flavour, then use a milder flavoured instant coffee when making the whipped coffee, or mix the whipped coffee into some whipped cream to reduce the intensity :)
If you'd like to watch this magical whipped coffee come together along with the coffee cake, then check out my YouTube video.
Prep time: 10 minutes │ Cook time: 25 minutes │ Total time: 35 minutes
Yield: Two 4 inch mini cakes or one 6 inch cake. Triple the recipe for one 8 inch cake and increase cook time to 35 minutes.
- 1/4 cup (50g) salted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 tablespoon (110g) soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsp (53g) canola oil
- 2 small eggs
- 3 teaspoons (15g) of milk
- 1/2 tsp (2.1g) vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (12g) instant coffee
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp (73g) flour
- 1 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon (5g) baking powder
Dalgona Whipped Coffee Icing:
- 5 tablespoons (30g) instant coffee
- 5 tablespoons (75g) of water
- 5 tablespoons (62.5g) of white granulated sugar
1) Preheat oven to 150°C (302°F).
2) Cream together butter, sugar and oil.
3) Beat in eggs one by one.
4) Mix in milk and vanilla extract.
5) Fold in the remaining dry ingredients (coffee, flour and baking powder).
6) Transfer evenly into two lightly greased 4 inch cake tins, or one 6 inch cake tin.
7) Bake for 25-30 minutes or when a toothpick comes out clean.
8) Whilst the cake is baking, mix together the coffee, water and sugar for the dalgona whipped coffee.
9) Beat with a hand mixer for about 7 minutes, until stiff peaks form.
10) Once the cake is cooked and fully cooled, spread the whipped coffee over the top and enjoy!
If you do try this recipe out or have any questions, then please leave me a comment below! I'd be happy to answer any questions. Also, I'd love to see pictures if you try this recipe out, so don't forget to tag me on Instagram @cakesbymk.nz :)