Cream Cheese Buttercream Two Ways - Recipes & Video
Cream cheese buttercream is one of my most favourite buttercreams to make. It's got the perfect balance of sweetness and tanginess, and goes so well with almost any type of cake flavour!
In this blog post I'll be sharing with you guys two ways that I like to make cream cheese buttercream frosting.
The first way is an American style cream cheese frosting, and the second is what I like to call Swiss meringue cream cheese frosting - but really it's a hybrid frosting that has a combination of American style cream cheese frosting and Swiss meringue frosting. Here are the key differences between the two:
1) Ease - American style cream cheese frosting is a lot easier to make than my hybrid Swiss meringue frosting. If you're looking for something that is easy to whip up and tastes incredible, then go with the American style cream cheese buttercream!
2) Taste - The American style cream cheese frosting is sweeter than the Swiss meringue buttercream frosting. Although my American style cream cheese frosting is not overly sweet, if you do prefer a more subtle sweetness then go with the Swiss meringue cream cheese frosting.
3) Stability - Generally buttercreams that have cream cheese in them are not as stable as say a regular vanilla flavoured buttercream. If you're making a layer cake and you're looking for a cream cheese buttercream that will hold up a bit better, than go with the Swiss meringue cream cheese buttercream as this is more stable than the American style cream cheese frosting.
If you'd like to watch how these two different styles of cream cheese buttercream come together, check out my YouTube video below!
Recipe 1 - American Cream Cheese Buttercream
Prep time: 10 minutes │ Yield: Enough to ice a 3 layer 6 inch cake
- 225g (1 cup) of cream cheese - 150g unsalted butter (room temperature) - 375g (3 cups) icing sugar/powdered sugar - 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract/essence
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1) Cream your butter for 5 minutes until light in colour and doubled in volume.
2) Add in sifted icing sugar a little at a time. I like to do it in three batches. Mix it in on a low speed, then once all the icing sugar is added in, turn up the speed to high for about 30 seconds to allow all the ingredients to incorporate well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if need be.
3) Mix in vanilla extract.
4) Mix in cream cheese.
5) Once the cream cheese is mixed in well, add in the lemon juice.
6) Mix until combined, then your cream cheese buttercream is ready to eat!
Recipe 2 - Hybrid Swiss Meringue Cream Cheese Buttercream
Prep time: 35 minutes │ Yield: Enough to ice an 8 inch 3 layer cake
- 1 batch of American style cream cheese buttercream as above
- 1 batch of vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream
1) Prepare the two buttercreams as stated in the linked recipes
2) Gently fold the American style cream cheese buttercream into the vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream. Be careful not to overmix as this can cause it to split.
3) Once combined, your hybrid Swiss meringue cream cheese buttercream is ready!
If you do try this recipe out or have any questions, then please leave me a comment below! I'd be happy to answer any questions. Also, I'd love to see pictures if you try this recipe out, so don't forget to tag me on Instagram @cakesbymk.nz :)