Black Buttercream - Recipe & Video
Have you ever tried making black buttercream and ended up using a whole bottle (if not more!) of black gel food colour?! This is what happened to me when I first tried making black buttercream - but since then I have learned much more effective ways to create super black and striking buttercream.
If you'd like to watch how this black buttercream comes together, as well as how to create the gorgeous black and gold cake above, then check out my YouTube video here.
Prep time: 10 minutes │ Set time: 4 hours minimum │ Total time: 4 hours 10 minutes
Yield: Enough to ice a 3 layer 6 inch cake
- 1 and a 1/4 cup (125g) black cocoa
- 2 tsp (about 9g) black gel food colouring
- Optional 1/2 cup to 1 cup powdered sugar/icing sugar (60g to 120g) depending on taste
1) Prepare your buttercream (either vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream or American buttercream).
2) Mix in the black cocoa on a low speed. Once the powder is incorporated, scrape the sides of the bowl and mix again on a medium speed.
3) Add in the gel food colouring and mix on a medium speed until completely combined. Scrape down sides of the bowl if necessary.
4) Let the buttercream sit for atleast 4 hours (ideally leave it overnight) to allow the colour to develop.
5) Once the colour is deep black, taste the buttercream and if it is too bitter, mix in 1/2 cup to 1 cup of powdered sugar depending on taste preference.
If you do try this recipe out or have any questions, then please leave me a comment below! I'd be happy to answer any questions. Also, I'd love to see pictures if you try this recipe out, so don't forget to tag me on Instagram @cakesbymk.nz :)