Best Tres Leches Cake! Recipe & Video
I am so so excited to share this one with you guys! It's finally here - my super delicious, melt in your mouth tres leches cake! I am in love with this cake, and it's definitely earned a spot on my favourite cakes list.
Tres leches cake is Mexican in origin and basically a sponge cake which is soaked in three different milks (tres leches translates to three milks), and is topped with some whipped cream (in this recipe I use my mascarpone whipped cream). The soaked sponge cake results in a melt in your mouth cake that is so so soft and delicious that you'll definitely be going back for seconds!
If you'd like to watch how this delicious cake comes together, check out my YouTube video here:
Prep time: 25 minutes │ Cook time: 30 minutes │ Wait time: 1 hour minimum │ Total time: 1 hour 55 minutes
Yield: Enough to fit a 12 x 8 inch rectangular cake pan
- 1 and 3/4 cups (210g) flour
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 6 large eggs (6 whites, 3 yolks)
- 1.5 tbsp (19.5g) vanilla extract/essence
- 1/2 cup (120g) whole milk
- 1 and 1/4 cups (260g) sugar (1/2 cup (104g) in egg whites and 3/4 cup (156g) in egg yolks).
- 1/2 tsp (2.4g) lemon juice
Milk Mixture (for soaking):
- 1 and 3/4 cups (441g) evaporated milk
- 1 cup (306g) condensed milk
- 3/4 cup (180g) heavy cream
Mascarpone Whipped Cream:
- 1 batch of my mascaropone whipped cream recipe
- Ground cinnamon to taste
- Fruit of choice (I used strawberries)
1) Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius and lightly grease a rectangular 9 x 13 inch cake tin.
2)Sift flour, baking powder and salt in bowl.
3) Separate egg yolks and whites.
4) Beat 3 egg yolks with 3/4 cup (156g) sugar until pale.
5) Add vanilla and milk to the egg yolk mixture and mix in. Set aside.
6) In the meantime, add 6 egg whites and lemon juice to a bowl. Whip up egg whites using a hand mixer until foamy and white.
7) Add in the remaining 1/2 cup (104g) of sugar slowly into the egg whites while still mixing until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
8) Add dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture prepared earlier.
9) Fold in a 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, then add egg yolk mixture back into the remaining egg whites and gently fold it together.
10) Transfer to your prepared cake tin and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
11) Once the cake is cooked, let it cool for 15 minutes (the edges should start to pull away from the sides of the pan) and remove it from the cake pan to allow it to completely cool (or if you made your tres leches cake in a ceramic dish that you are going to serve it in, then leave it in the dish to cool.)
12) In the meantime, make your three milk mixture. Simple combine the three milks together and set aside.
13) Once your cake has cooled, place it back into the cake tin you cooked it in (or any other deep dish that can catch the liquid that is going to be poured on it). Slowly pour the entire milk mixture over the sponge cake.
14) Cover and place the cake in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
15) In the meantime make your mascarpone whipped cream.
16) Once the cake is ready, top it with the mascarpone whipped cream, ground cinnamon and fruit of choice. Cut into squares and serve! :)
If you do try this recipe out or have any questions, then please leave me a comment below! I'd be happy to answer any questions. Also, I'd love to see pictures if you try this recipe out, so don't forget to tag me on Instagram @cakesbymk.nz :)